Six Areas to Look to Prevent a Costly Repair
We all know that owning a home is an expensive investment. Unfortunately, you can’t just move in and let it set. Homes require constant maintenance to ensure you don’t get costly damage. We suggest doing a yearly home inspection.
Most people will never venture up onto their roof to see what is going on up there. A homes roof takes a beating. In the summer, it bakes and the sealant can shrink and expand hundreds of times each year. Making sure your roofing is up to par will save you from costly damage such as mold, water damage, sagging rooflines, pests and much more.
During winter, rainwater can find its way through tiny cracks causing moisture in your attic or between the layers of roofing. Identifying these issues early on can save you thousands of dollars in repairs to the roof itself, drywall, mold or go into your walls creating all sorts of havoc. It is critically important to understand that your home insurance does NOT cover water intrusion damages caused by deferred maintenance.
Things to look for on your roof inspection:
- Missing or damaged shingles
- Shingles can become damaged by wind and hail or even just years of use. When inspecting your shingles, make sure the granules are covering the shingle. Ensuring that your shingles are in proper working order will ensure water stays out of your home.
- Look for curling shingles, or if wood, cracked or decayed shingles.
- Your flashing is the metal pieces that go around skylights, butt up against walls and down the valleys on your roof.
- Make sure these pieces are whole and without damage such as being twisted upwards, or having holes in them from rust or other damages.
- Flat Roofs: Look for obvious patches, cracks, tears, or blisters.
- Gutters: Make sure your gutters are clear from debris, are not leaking and are butted up tight against the structure.
- Chimneys: Ensure your chimney cap is on tight and if it is brick, inspect for cracks.
- Ventilation: Make sure your ventilation caps are clear of obstruction.
Inspecting your roof is a quick and easy job. Take your time and be careful while up there as there are many trip hazards and climbing on and off of the roof onto a ladder can be tricky. But, if done safely, a roof inspection can identify problems that would normally not be covered by your homeowners insurance.
FIA Insurance Services, Inc. was established in 1946 and has been serving the Pasadena California area with exceptional staff – professionals committed to building enduring relationships with clients and companies in California and beyond. We are confident that our commitment to our clients will not be outdone by anyone else. FIA Insurance Services, Inc. insures all types of homes, autos and businesses in California. We also provide life and health insurance. Visit our website 24/7.